Monday, April 22, 2013

To Infinity & Beyond

There's a feeling you get when you become a mother. I don't know that I can explain it but you automatically feel in love. It's defiantly a different kind of love that you would have with another person. You are a lioness protecting your cub at all times. 

If I never do anything else in my lifetime I would be content. Why? Because my greatest accomplishment will be my son. Will I be perfect at it? I don't think so, but I believe there is a bond between a mother and her child that is different than a father and a child. And boys attach themselves to their mothers especially. 

For years before I had The Kid, I wanted a tattoo but couldn't make up my mind. I mean its permanent. There's no rubbing it off. So when he was about four, I got his first name tattooed on the inside of my ankle. It was uncomfortable but I thought I was at the front of the titanic yelling, "I am the Queen of the World!" But here lately as he's gotten older I have wanted another one. Something that symbolizes my love for him and represents me as a mother. For the last several months, I have looked and drew them out. I pinned them on Pinterest. I went back and forth and I knew that I wanted an infinity. Infinity is forever. I found one. I actually showed it here.

I wanted something dainty and girly because it was going on my wrist. So, I said, let's do this.  I hem hawed around about it for a long long time because I hate needles and I was a big fat chicken. Same scanario as with the other tattoo. I finally made the appointment with my cousin. And here it is.


It's pretty awesome. And who better to place something so meaningful for the rest of your life than a family member. Brian is so talented. He's got his own story himself. Fought his way back, now has a beautiful wife and a daughter. He made a choice to live his life the best way he can and is doing something he loves. To say how proud I am of him is an understatement. 

He was pretty nervous doing it because my wrist is tiny and it used a very tiny needle for this particular tattoo. He had not used one before so I was his first. And let me just inform you because I know you all are wondering. Yes, it hurt like a bitch! I think he probably thought I could have been giving birth again. Holy shitballs. I gritted my teeth, no tears and did it.


I love tattoos but I want them to tell a story. A story of a journey or love that way in your heart it's there for the right reason. So here's my story in my own words...........

"Two hearts. One a mother's, one a son's bound together until infinity."

So there's the surprise I promised. Happy Monday!

Dusty


21 comments:

  1. It's beautiful and tells a beautiful story! I've been wanting another tattoo but I can't 110% decide on exactly what I want! Great surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the design and the story behind it, your son is a lucky boy.
    I have a tattoo on my wrist and barely felt it, I want another on my ankle or foot but I have a feeling they would really hurt so its putting me off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your tattoo!!! We both know I'm a tatted up freak, but your tattoo is super awesome & amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any tattoos, I felt an overwhelmingly strong urge to get one after my brother died almost 4 years ago...I should have gotten it done when I felt the urge because now, I'm scared to get one. I would love to get one in honor of my brother and one for my son...the way you described your love for your son is the same way I feel about mine. I would lay down my life for him.

    Your tattoo is beautiful and so, so fitting. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME!!!! I love it girlie. I am so jealous and ready for my next one. My next one will have meaning too. I am going to get same one my mother has.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. Live the intertwining of hearts. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so sweet girl! I love little wrist tattoos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it. I've always wanted a wrist tattoo but I've been too chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love it!! :) It's perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's beautiful. I love that it's dainty and girly. And I love the meaning behind it for you. :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Umm I'm sitting here reading this and crying because you're fabulous and I love it! And you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still don't believe this is your last one :-)

    I love the story and I love the art!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love it. and for the record you are pretty much the only person that convinces me to have children.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dusty! It is beautiful!!!!!! I love how you say that your son will be your greatest accomplishment... our children are the legacy we leave when we pass on and it is up to us to raise them with the fruits of the spirit (love, kindness, gentleness, patience)... your sweet boy is so lucky to have a mom that loves him so much and cares so much abouT HIS well being and happiness. And a mama that has FUN!! Okay tell me... did it hurt like hell? Mine on my foot hurt soooo bad (I have 2 on feet and 1 on side) and bc the skin is so thin, it was so painful! I am guessing wrist would be the same?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel the same way about tattoos, and I LOVE this. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dusty, it's beautiful. i'm not a mother yet, but i have younger siblings who i really really love. can't imagine when i have my own kids

    ReplyDelete
  17. really love this simple but amazing tatto!
    so so cool!

    www.alesclutch.blogspot.com
    Sergio,xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Way to pull at our heart strings Dusty, it's beautiful! Love it! I know some day when I have kiddos I want their names on my ribs. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're such a sweet mama, I love it and the reason behind it! Hugs to you both! <3 XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this and you're an amazing mom!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! Way to go, Dusty, you are far braver than I am!

    ReplyDelete