Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Brush Strokes

It's Wednesday. My portion of fashion, beauty, and all that crap segment of this blog. I know I haven't posted something in a while, but I am back today showing you a little trick that has made a world of difference. Yes, I know this is something that has probably been around forever and blogged about. But guess what? I am not a makeup artist. I just apply war paint and off to the tribal dance I go. But I am a little excited to tell you all about my new discovery.

As I have gotten older and the wrinkles set in, my makeup routine has gotten simpler. This really attributes to being a mother and hoarding all the sleep I can get. Now that I have mastered the art of bronzing. Not really, but for my standards I have taken it by storm. My day makeup and most night consists of the new BB Cream that is out. It's light and I can still pound on the powder because I like a matte type finish product. But with this you can also use a powder brush for an all over touch and still have a dewy finish.

Now to the discovery. I usually save my heavy foundation for when I go out and I know I am going to be sweating, dancing and a long night with friends or family. I usually apply with the normal foundation brush. So, the other day I was reading an article on The Beauty Department (Lauren Conrad's Beauty site). It spoke of this different type of foundation brush to use, that blends the foundation, into the skin for an more even skin tone and coverage.

As I ponder this I click to find out much the brush is, uh, that's a no go in my wallet, so I decided to improvise. 

If you click on the link above it will show you a picture of the foundation brush. I found this brush at my local supermarket for $4.99. It's actually a mineral brush, but has the same type of flat top as the foundation brush shown in the article. I decided to give it a whirl. And it was magic. It gives a totally different coverage than a regular long bristled brush does and with less time. I also tried the technique shown going from the inside out making a star and that was a bigger revelation. Now these bristles are a bit longer than the one shown and I thought about cutting them a tad but that would probably cause me hysterics of impatience.

Honestly, I won't ever apply foundation without this type of flat head brush again. I might even invest in the other brush or find an equivalent not so expensive but for now, my Taters, do this. Use it with regular foundation or the BB Cream shown above. I am loving the new BB Cream from Garnier because it now comes in oil free formula. I top this off with my Rimmel Stay Matte Powder.

If I give you one tip to try this is it. A flat top brush is seriously the way to apply foundation and it blended right in and left no stroke marks or missed spots. Do it! You can thank me later.

Do you have a foundation technique or use this type of brush? Let me know what you think. And if you try it, Tweet me later and tell me how it goes.

That's this Tater Queens Tip for the week. See you next time.

Dusty

16 comments:

  1. I use my fingers for everything but blush. I'm fairly sure that's not how you're supposed to apply makeup. I have all the brushes you're supposed to have... but I'm just so lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy timing!! I took my sister to Neiman's the last weekend and the makeup gal used a foundation brush on her and me. I loved it and have been trying it every day this week. I couldnt afford any brush from Neiman's but i had one that works at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have to try this. I so very rarely wear foundation, I've never put any effort into learning how to apply it. I guess brushing it on with that stupid Mac brush that looks like a paint brush they convinced me I needed a decade ago isn't the go to brush anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been using this type of brush for years because I'm an old hag and it covers the wrinkles better, especially with Glow Mineral foundation. Now little children don't run away screaming when they see me in the light of day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I normally use my fingers but I will have to try a brush like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I need to start using a brush. Damn it. I have a ton of brushes but don't...understand...how to put the foundation...on them? Help me.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just bought some bb cream and i will have to try using a brush instead of my grubby ol fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I honestly am horrible when it comes to makeup. I am just clueless. I still don't really even get what bb cream is. Teach me your ways.

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never wear foundation because it makes me break out (counterproductive in my opinion), but I have to wear it for contests and such. I will have to try this, because I feel like I suck at putting it on normally!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at you Miss Make-Up Artist! Why haven't I ever used a foundation brush before....been using my good 'ol fingers all this time. Definitely gonna find me one of these bad boys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a very similar e.l.f brush that I swear by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always use my fingers to apply foundation... the make up person (with impeccable make up of course) did tell me to use it with a brush when I very first bought it but I'm a rebel. However, I may have to try this type of brush if it's as good as you say! (I trust you. No pressure!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have literally never put foundation on with a brush before. Is it really better? Maybe I should try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't like how oily the bb cream was is the oil free one way better?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the review! So great:)

    http://theprintedsea.blogspot.de/

    Win a pair of sunglasses: http://theprintedsea.blogspot.de/2013/05/firmoo-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am seriously thje worst with makeup lol. I use my fingers to apply foundation... and pretty much stick to the same products unless they get discontinued. mainly this stems (I think) from having trouble finding stuff that works with my skin tone.

    anyways, I may (MAYBE!) will give the brush thing a try, hopefully it'll waste less foundation than using my fingers. that stuff is liquid gold!

    ReplyDelete